Nigerian refugees leave their settlement in Ngouboua village, on the coast of the Lake Chad, in order to be transfered to the Dar-es-Salam camp, near Baga Sola, Chad. The transfer took place only two days before insurgents from Nigeria crossed the Lake in pirogues and attacked the Chadian village. At least five people were killed and most houses in the village completely burned down.

On the other side of the Lake

When the fighting in north-eastern Nigeria came to Baga town, thousands of survivors fled across Lake Chad, searching for safety

A long canoe slips through the reeds on the calm waters of Lake Chad. The faces on board are tense, including that of 16-year-old Alhaji Haoudou, who is eager to jump onto the sandy shores of Baga Sola, Chad. One of more than 80 passengers, he fled Nigeria weeks earlier, throwing himself into an overloaded vessel following a massacre back home on 3 January. That day, fighters burned down a dozen villages as well as the port town of Baga, on the western shore of Africa’s fourth largest lake. Several dozen people – and perhaps several hundred, according to some accounts – perished in a few days. Others drowned while crossing the lake.

This boat is the last chartered by Chadian authorities and UNHCR to collect some 7,000 survivors scattered over countless islets, patches of sand that appear to have crumbled away from the mainland, much like icebergs released from a glacier. Conditions there are precarious, and many refugees only survive with the help of a few local residents. Their relocation to Dar-es-Salam, a site planted in an arid scrubland 75 kilometres from the Nigerian border, is an urgent, but challenging, humanitarian priority.

Five weeks after an attack on his village in north-eastern Nigeria, Alhaji, 16, arrives in Baga Sola, Chad. Beside him is his aunt, Kalthouma, and her newborn daughter. UNHCR / OLIVIER LABAN-MATTEI

Five weeks after an attack on his village in north-eastern Nigeria, Alhaji, 16, arrives in Baga Sola, Chad. Beside him is his aunt, Kalthouma, and her newborn daughter.

Fine scarifications run down Alhaji’s face and accentuate his slim figure. With a jute bag hanging from his left shoulder and his right arm dangling in the air, he emerges from the throng of survivors. As soon as he reaches the beach, he is rewarded with a bracelet stamped with the UNHCR logo. Alhaji is now officially a refugee. His bundle is sprayed with diluted bleach, his feet disinfected in a basin. The authorities are vigilant, worried that fighters might try to slip in among the passengers. Gendarmes search every bundle, every carton. Confiscated machetes and other vital agricultural tools, seen as potential weapons, soon pile up beside them.

Ten members of Alhaji’s family fled, but only seven have arrived here today: Alhaji, his grandparents, mother, aunt and three little cousins. Alhaji’s grandmother, 51-year-old Falmata Mohamed, is veiled in blue and wears gold earrings. She makes wide gestures with her arms to describe the confusion that followed the onslaught. “Tara-ta-ta,” she sputters, grabbing Alhaji’s forearm, mimicking a machine gun. One of the bullets pierced his right wrist, and the sore is now oozing. Then Falmata points to her granddaughter. Barely one month old, the little girl was born in the bush, a week after the attack. She nestles in her mother’s cloak. The entire family looks exhausted. None of them can manage to give a clear account of the events. Time seems to have faded out there on the lake.

A short time later, a truck approaches. It will carry these men, women and children to their new home, the Dar-es-Salam site, 12 kilometres away. The engine rattles and bodies collide in a mess of mats and cartons. The silence is striking, a mixture of apprehension and anxiety. As the miles go by, a barren wasteland dotted with huts comes into view. Here, a draped silhouette mounts a camel. There, goats nibble on rare acacias. This region, a nine-hour track drive from the capital, is as poor as it is isolated. Its human development index is among the lowest in Chad, a country which itself ranks among the least developed in the world. But it is safer, much safer, than the place they fled. The atmosphere grows more relaxed. Some even laugh. “I never thought we would make it this far,” utters an incredulous father.

A crowd awaits the newcomers upon their arrival, hoping to greet missing loved ones. Soon, though, many young faces can’t hide their disappointment. The site is now home to 150 children who lost their parents or were separated from them during the attacks. A man grabs a bullhorn and calls out in Hausa: “Welcome to you all! Welcome!” Then the multitude disperses, as night falls on the refugee settlement. Alhaji and his family head to the community shelters. This is where they will spend their first night in Dar-es-Salam. The last bags are unloaded, one of them carrying a tag indicating the point of departure: “Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria.”

Nigerian refugees leave Ngouboua village, on the shore of Lake Chad, on 11 February 2015. They are heading for a safer place, further inland Chad. UNHCR / OLIVIER LABAN-MATTEI

Nigerian refugees leave Ngouboua village, on the shore of Lake Chad, on 11 February 2015. They are heading for a safer place, further inland Chad.

Close to 1 million people have been displaced within north-eastern Nigeria since May 2013. More than 100,000 have fled to Niger, as many as 66,000 to Cameroon and at least 18,000 to Chad. The crisis today is a regional one.

Alhaji and his family now feel able to recount the horror they endured. From the temporary shelter that UNHCR has just assigned them, hardly more than a tarpaulin stretched over a wooden structure, the grandmother recalls how fighters “stormed in early in the morning, as we were cooking. Those men were frenzied, shooting in all directions.“It was everyone for one’s self. We were all running for our lives,” adds Alhaji’s aunt, Kalthouma Abakar, 22.

“I rubbed my hands, my feet. I realised I was going to live.”

Women managed to escape. But the men were gathered in the central square of their village, on the outskirts of Baga. Eleven teenagers were lined up in front of their elders. Alhaji was tied up, on his knees, his face against the ground. The rifles fired and one of the bullets pierced the boy’s wrist. All believed him dead, including his grandfather. “I thought it was our turn, but the Boko Haram went away,” the old man says, bewildered. He rushed to Alhaji, shook the boy’s body. “I rubbed my hands, my feet. I realised I was going to live,” explains Alhaji in a flat voice, his gaze empty. Like him, another young man survived miraculously.

The family wandered for two days in the bush, with no food or water. Gunshots followed them, and families were split up. Soon Alhaji’s aunt went into labour, giving birth to Falmata, named in honour of the improvised midwife: her grandmother. “I did not even have hot water to wash the baby,” says the young mother.

The group continued on a canoe, making their way among the reeds, hopping from island to island. For two weeks, they fed on fish and drank lake water. Sometimes they propelled themselves with a pole, or sank up to their waists in the marshy, drying lake trying to push the vessel. Their meanderings led them to a village. A motorised canoe belonging to the Chadian authorities made a stop there. They got on board.

Kaltouma, 22, rests with her newborn daughter Falmata, after getting out of a canoe in Baga Sola, Chad. A truck will soon carry them to the Dar es Salam camp. UNHCR / OLIVIER LABAN-MATTEI

Kaltouma, 22, rests with her newborn daughter Falmata, after getting out of a canoe in Baga Sola, Chad. A truck will soon carry them to the Dar es Salam camp.

This morning, the family woke up in their new home. They explore their living space. In one month, Dar-es-Salam has risen from the sands but the essential facilities are already available. Wells, showers and toilets are only a few metres away. A doctor from the Red Cross of Chad will treat Alhaji’s hand. The two tots, four and six years old, will start a school life as soon as the school building is completed. And to help them settle, UNHCR has provided the family with mats, blankets or cookware.

The World Food Programme (WFP) provides them with their first food allocation: 8.5 kilogram of grain, 1 kilogram of green peas, oil and salt, per person. They will have to make it last for 20 days. For these former fishermen, farmers and herders, the rations come as a shock. They were used to a diversified diet. “Back home, the pot was always simmering,” one of the refugees points out. Thus, the day before, anger erupted. The refugees refused to accept “such small quantities of millet, a cereal that we don’t even know how to cook and are unable to grind,” grumbles one of them. WFP and UNHCR promise to improve the rations on the next allocation. Everyone must make concessions, for the crisis is huge. More than 3,000 refugees already inhabit the site. And many more are expected.

Moussa and Falamata register their family with UNHCR at Dar es Salam camp in Chad. They arrived a day earlier, after five weeks on the run. UNHCR / OLIVIER LABAN-MATTEI

Moussa and Falamata register their family with UNHCR at Dar es Salam camp in Chad. They arrived a day earlier, after five weeks on the run.

Dar-es-Salam has been designed for a maximum of 10,000 people. The concentration of all the refugees in a single location is the only way to assist them in an areas as remote as this one. This is why joint missions by UNHCR and the Chadian Commission for the Reception and Reintegration of Refugees comb the area in jeeps and canoes to convince exiles to join the settlement at Dar-es-Salam. The aim is also to guarantee their safety from deadly incursions into Chad. Just days after Alhaji’s family was relocated from Ngouboua to Dar-es-Salam, Ngouboua came under attack. Three-quarters of the town was burnt down and 10 people were reported killed. Dozens of refugees made for the bush again. Others have flocked to Dar-es-Salam.

“Here we will rebuild our lives,” Alhaji’s grandmother vows.

For Alhaji and his family, returning is not an option. “Here we will rebuild our lives,” promises the grandmother. Provided they find the necessary means of subsistence. The family has lost their cattle and nothing grows on the sand swept in this season by the harmattan, the dry wind from the Sahara. As for fishing, the main livelihood for the exiles, its practise is strictly regulated in Chad. “If we find the necessary funds, we could pay for the licenses required by the authorities and even help refugees to buy nets,” says Baiwong Mohamat, who heads UNHCR’s office in Baga Sola. “We are also in discussion with local chiefs on the use of some fertile land bordering the lake. We could finance the purchase of seeds.”

More than anything, though, Alhaji’s family is concerned about their safety from future attacks by militants. “As long as we don’t get attacked… we will stay here,” says Falmata, Alhaji’s grandmother. The family is especially looking forward to the return of its men. Last they heard, they were in Ngouboua, the burnt-down village. In Arabic, Dar-es-Salam means the “House of Peace.” All pray that it may be true.

Le texte en français:

De l’autre côté du lac

Lorsque les combats au nord-est du Nigéria ont atteint la ville de Baga, des milliers de survivants ont traversé le lac Tchad, en quête de sécurité.

Un long canoë glisse à travers les roseaux sur les eaux paisibles du lac Tchad. A son bord, les visages sont tendus, tel celui du jeune Alhaji Haoudou, 16 ans, impatient de sauter sur les berges sablonneuses de Baga Sola, au Tchad. Comme les 80 autres passagers, il a fui le Nigéria quelques semaines auparavant, après s’être engouffré dans un bateau surchargé au lendemain du massacre survenu dans sa région le 3 janvier. Ce jour-là, des combattants ont incendié une douzaine de villages ainsi que la ville portuaire de Baga, située sur la rive occidentale du quatrième plus grand lac d’Afrique. Plusieurs dizaines de personnes –voire plusieurs centaines selon certains récits – ont péri en quelques jours. D’autres se sont noyées en traversant le lac.

Ce bateau est le dernier affrété par les autorités tchadiennes et le HCR pour acheminer quelque 7 000 survivants dispersés à travers d’innombrables îlots, des parcelles de sable qui semblent s’être détachées de la terre ferme, un peu comme des icebergs décrochés d’un glacier. Les conditions y sont très précaires et de nombreux réfugiés ne survivent que grâce à l’aide des rares habitants. Leur transfert vers Dar-es-Salam, un site planté dans la brousse aride à 75 kms de la frontière nigériane, est une priorité humanitaire aussi urgente que difficile.

De fines scarifications marquent le visage d’Alhaji et accentuent sa mince silhouette. Un sac en jute pendu à son épaule gauche et son bras droit se balançant dans l’air, il émerge de la foule de survivants. Dès qu’il atteint la plage, il est récompensé par un bracelet tamponné du logo du HCR. Désormais, Alhaji est officiellement un réfugié. De l’eau oxygénée diluée est pulvérisée sur son ballot et ses pieds sont désinfectés dans une bassine. Les autorités sont vigilantes, craignant que des combattants essaient de s’immiscer parmi les passagers. Les gendarmes fouillent tous les sacs et tous les cartons. Les machettes confisquées et d’autres outils agricoles vitaux, considérés comme des armes potentielles, s’entassent à côte d’eux.

Dix membres de la famille d’Alhaji ont fui, mais seuls sept sont arrivés ici aujourd’hui : Alhaji, ses grands-parents, sa mère, sa tante et trois petits cousins. La grand-mère d’Alhaji, Falmata Mohamed, âgée de 51 ans, porte un voile bleu et des boucles d’oreilles en or. Elle fait de grands gestes avec ses bras pour décrire la confusion qui a suivi l’attaque. « Tara-ta-ta » mime-t-elle, saisissant l’avant bras d’Alhaji pour simuler une mitrailleuse. Une balle a transpercé son poignet droit et sa blessure nécessite des soins. Puis Falmata désigne sa petite-fille du doigt. Agée d’à peine un mois, elle est née dans la brousse, une semaine après l’attaque. Elle est blottie dans les vêtements de sa mère. Toute la famille a l’air épuisé. Aucun d’entre eux ne parvient à faire un récit clair des événements. Le temps semble s’être suspendu là-bas sur le lac.

Peu de temps après, un camion approche. Il transportera ces hommes, ces femmes et ces enfants vers leur nouvelle habitation, le site de Dar-es-Salam, à 12 kms de là. Le véhicule fait un bruit de ferraille et les corps se cognent dans un fouillis de tapis et de cartons. Le silence est frappant, mélange d’appréhension et d’angoisse. Au fil des kms, des terres en friche désertiques plantées de huttes apparaissent à l’horizon. Ici, une silhouette enturbannée monte un chameau. Plus loin, des chèvres broutent de rares acacias. Cette région, à neuf heures de camion de la capitale, est aussi pauvre qu’isolée. Son indice de développement humain est parmi les plus bas du Tchad, un pays qui figure lui-même parmi les pays les moins développés du monde. Mais cette région est plus sûre, beaucoup plus sûre, que l’endroit qu’ils ont fui. L’atmosphère se détend. Certains rient même. « Je n’aurais jamais pensé aller si loin », marmonne un père incrédule.

Une foule attend les nouveaux arrivants, espérant retrouver des proches disparus. Mais, vite, les visages de nombreux jeunes ne peuvent pas cacher leur déception. Le site accueille désormais 150 enfants ayant perdu leurs parents ou séparés d’eux pendant l’attaque. Un homme s’empare d’un porte-voix et déclare en Houssa : « Bienvenue à vous tous ! Bienvenue ! ». Puis la foule se disperse, tandis que la nuit tombe sur l’installation pour réfugiés. Alhaji et sa famille se dirigent vers les abris communautaires. C’est là qu’ils vont passer leur première nuit à Dar-es-Salam. Les derniers sacs sont déchargés, l’un d’eux portant une étiquette indiquant le point de départ : « Maiduguri, Etat de Borno, Nigéria ».

Près de 1 million de personnes ont été déplacées à l’intérieur de la région du nord-est du Nigéria depuis mai 2013. Plus de 100 000 ont fui vers le Niger, quelque 66 000 vers le Cameroun et au moins 18 000 vers le Tchad. Aujourd’hui, la crise est régionale. Alhaji et sa famille se sentent désormais capables de raconter les horreurs qu’ils ont endurées. Dans l’abri temporaire que le HCR vient de leur attribuer, une simple bâche étendue au-dessus d’une structure en bois, la grand-mère évoque comment les combattants « ont lancé l’assaut tôt le matin, alors que nous faisions la cuisine. Ces hommes étaient complètement fous et ils tiraient dans toutes les directions ».

« C’était chacun pour soi. Nous courrions pour sauver notre peau », ajoute la tante d’Alhaji, Kalthouma Abakar, âgée de 22 ans.

«J’ai touché mes mains, mes pieds. J’ai réalisé que j’étais en vie ».

Les femmes ont réussi à prendre la fuite. Mais les hommes ont été rassemblés sur la place centrale du village, dans les environs de Baga. Onze adolescents ont été alignés devant les hommes plus âgés. Alhaji était ligoté, à genou, son visage contre le sol. Les hommes ont fait feu et l’une des balles a transpercé le poignet du garçon. Tous le croyaient mort, y compris son grand-père. « J’ai pensé que c’était notre tour, mais les hommes de Boko Haram sont partis », raconte le vieil homme, abasourdi. Il s’est rué sur Alhaji, a remué le corps du garçon. « J’ai touché mes mains, mes pieds. J’ai réalisé que j’étais en vie », explique Alhaji d’une voix monocorde, le regard vide. Comme lui, un autre jeune homme a survécu miraculeusement.

La famille a erré pendant deux jours dans la brousse, sans nourriture ni eau. Les coups de feu les poursuivaient et les familles ont été séparées. Peu de temps après, le travail de la tante d’Alhaji a commencé et elle a donné naissance à Falmata, dont le prénom a été choisi en l’honneur de la sage-femme improvisée : sa grand-mère. « Je n’avais même pas d’eau chaude pour laver le bébé », explique la jeune maman.

Le groupe a continué sur un canoë, se frayant un chemin à travers les roseaux, sautant d’une île à l’autre. Pendant deux semaines, ils se sont nourris de poissons et ont bu l’eau du lac. Ils se propulsaient parfois avec une perche, ou s’enlisaient jusqu’à la taille dans le lac marécageux et en voie d’assèchement pour essayer de pousser le bateau. Leur périple sinueux les a conduits à un village. Un canoë motorisé appartenant aux autorités tchadiennes s’est arrêté à cet endroit. Ils sont montés à bord.

Ce matin, la famille s’est réveillée dans sa nouvelle habitation. Ils explorent leur espace de vie. En un mois, Dar-es-Salam a surgi au milieu du sable mais les infrastructures essentielles sont déjà installées. Des puits, des douches et des toilettes sont à seulement quelques mètres. Un médecin de la Croix-Rouge tchadienne va soigner la main d’Alhaji. Les deux bambins, âgés de quatre et six ans, vont démarrer leur vie d’écoliers dès que le bâtiment de l’école est terminé. Et pour les aider à s’installer, le HCR a fourni des nattes, des couvertures et des ustensiles de cuisine à la famille.

 Le Programme alimentaire mondial (PAM) leur distribue leur première ration de nourriture : 8,5 kg de céréales, 1 kg de pois, huile et sel, par personne. Ils devront faire avec pendant 20 jours. Pour ceux qui étaient auparavant pêcheurs, agriculteurs et éleveurs, ces rations leur font un choc. Ils avaient l’habitude d’un régime varié. « A la maison, il y avait toujours une casserole qui mijotait », souligne un des réfugiés. Alors, la veille, la colère a éclaté. Les réfugiés ont refusé d’accepter « de si petites quantités de millet, une céréale que nous ne savons même pas préparer et que nous sommes incapables de piler », marmonne l’un d’entre eux. Le PAM et le HCR ont promis d’améliorer les rations lors de la prochaine distribution. Chacun doit faire des concessions, parce que la crise est immense. Plus de 3 000 réfugiés vivent déjà dans le site. Et on en attend beaucoup plus.

Le site de Dar-es-Salam a été conçu pour un maximum de 10 000 personnes. La concentration de tous les réfugiés au même endroit est le seul moyen de leur porter assistance dans une région aussi isolée que celle-ci. C’est la raison pour laquelle des missions conjointes du HCR et de la Commission tchadienne pour l’accueil et la réintégration des réfugiés ratissent la région avec des jeeps et des canoës pour convaincre les exilés de rejoindre l’installation de Dar-es-Salam. Le but est également de garantir leur sécurité contre des incursions meurtrières à l’intérieur du Tchad. Quelques jours après le transfert de la famille d’Alhaji de Ngouboua vers Dar-es-Salam, Ngouboua a été attaquée. La ville a été brûlée aux trois quarts et 10 personnes auraient été tuées. Des dizaines de réfugiés ont dû de nouveau fuir dans la brousse. D’autres ont afflué vers Dar-es-Salam.

Pour Alhaji et sa famille, le retour n’est pas une option. « Nous allons reconstruire nos vies ici », promet la grand-mère. A condition qu’ils trouvent les moyens de subsistance nécessaires. Ils ont perdu leur bétail et rien ne pousse dans le sable balayé en cette saison par l’harmattan, le vent sec du Sahara. Quant à la pêche, le principal moyen de subsistance des exilés, sa pratique est strictement réglementée au Tchad. « Si nous trouvons les fonds nécessaires, nous pourrions payer les licences imposées par les autorités et même aider les réfugiés à acheter des filets », déclare Baiwong Mohamat, qui dirige le bureau du HCR à Baga Sola. « Nous sommes aussi en discussion avec les chefs locaux concernant l’utilisation de certaines terres fertiles au bord du lac. Nous pourrions financer l’achat de semences ».

Mais ce qui préoccupe plus que tout Alhaji et sa famille, c’est leur sécurité contre des attaques futures de militants. « Tant que nous ne sommes pas attaqués… nous resterons ici », déclare Falmata, la grand-mère d’Alhaji. La famille a surtout hâte de voir le retour de ses hommes. Aux dernières nouvelles, ils étaient à Ngouboua, le village réduit en cendres. En arabe, Dar-es-Salam signifie la “maison de la paix”. Ils prient tous pour que cela soit vrai.

Nigerian refugees find shelter in Chad and get married

Mauritanian refugee children born in Mali get birth certificates for the first time